Habits can be formed in a matter of weeks and it is therefore important that you plan and develop specific checks and balances so that good habits are formed in your business. Have a list of things that need to be done on a regular basis and then ensure that you do them according to the time frames listed.
1. Do all your paperwork – it is easier to do this when thoughts are fresh in your mind and less stressful than facing a desk full of things that need to be finished.
2. Prepare and deliver your bank deposit – Cashflow is important, especially when you are just beginning your business.
3. Send out invoices to vendors – The sooner you mail them – the sooner you will be paid for your work. 3. Walk through the office before you leave and quickly put things in order so that the next day you are ready to welcome clients.
4. Write a list of things that you need to do the following day or ensure that they are on your calendar. This will allow you to clear your mind without worrying about forgetting things.
1. Review your week to determine if you have met your goals.
2. Quickly scan the calendar for the following week so you can mentally prepare for what is scheduled.
3. Ensure that a thorough cleaning of the office is done (either by you or a janitor).
1. Complete payroll activities.
2. Send out statements for accounts with balances.
3. Review Accounts Receivable list and contact overdue accounts to arrange payment.
4. Pay your bills for the month (you can schedule these for specific dates through internet banking or write cheques to be mailed on specific dates).
5. Complete any government reports and submissions.
6. Print monthly reports.
1. Complete any government reports and submissions.
2. Review your goals and set new ones for the next quarter.
1. Submit electronic and paper records to the accountant for preparation of Income Tax Return and Financial Statements.
2. Review client list and thank them for working with you.
3. Close inactive files.
4. Set goals for the next year and prepare a new Business Plan.
Feel free to add to or edit these lists to suit your business. The important thing is to ensure that you are doing the things at the times designated. By doing this, you will find that your workload is distributed throughout the year and you won’t ever have to face a time when you are unprepared or a year end that is overwhelming!